Yields 1 quart.
1 cup heavy cream
3 cups whole milk
4 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1. In a 2-quart saucepot combine the heavy cream and milk and heat it over medium heat.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks and sugar. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the yolks and sugar until they become pale in color.
3. Adjust the speed to low and slowly add one cup of the warm milk mixture to the egg and sugar mixture.
4. Turn off the mixer and gently pour this mixture back into the pot with the rest of the warm milk and cream.
5. Turn the heat to medium-low and stir the mixture until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
6. Strain the gelato base into a container and allow it to cool before placing it in the refrigerator to chill overnight.
7. Pour the cold gelato base into the bowl of an electric ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
8. Once the gelato is set, pour it into a container and freeze until ready to serve.
Need more help? Check out these step-by-step instructions.
Vanilla: Add 2 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract to the gelato base in step 5 of the directions.
Chocolate: Add 1 cup cocoa powder and 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate into the milk and cream mixture as you are heating the milk and cream in step 1. Whisk until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Continue with the additional steps in the recipe.
Coffee: Add 2 Tbsp. instant espresso powder and 1/2 cup hot water into the gelato base in step 5.