This Saturday, the LSU Pre-Vet Club is doing its part to clean up the Capitol City. From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., the student-organization hosts its annual dog wash fundraiser in front of the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine on Skip Bertman Drive.
Besides a willingness to take on the city's dirty, dusty, dingy and dander-filled dogs for only $5 per wash, this student-run organization offers activities for owners. The event features a petting zoo, face painting, a doggie-bag gift-basket raffle and an appearance by an official LSU police dog.
While raffle proceeds benefit Yelp!BR, the remainder of funds provide educational opportunities for the estimated 200 undergraduate pre-vet students on campus.
The club's 70 members plan bi-monthly guest lectures by faculty, bus trips to veterinary schools around the country and to national symposiums that give students hands-on experience in everything from acupuncture to trauma surgery.
In addition, the club requires members to accrue service hours. 'We are a professional organization,' says Kali Sherman, the club's historian. 'We want members to go out and make meaningful connections with the community, local veterinarians and pre-vet students from across the country.'
If you are looking for a new date to bring the dog wash, Yelp!BR has plenty of dogs deserving a great home.
If you are interested in fostering or adopting from Yelp!Baton Rouge, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 225-485-9200.
Most recent Unleashed blog posts
- Avoiding equine heat stress
- Purrfect new additions to the zoo
- Rules of attraction
- Tips to get your pet home safely
- Summer Showers Rain Lost Cats & Dogs
- Invasion of the crazy ants
- Dog days of summer
- Go wild this week with BREC summer adventures
- Kitten season heats up with summer solstice
- Hurricane preparation plans for pet owners
- Third time's a charm for dog safety bill
- Keeping pets safe
- Fur Ball fundraiser benefits City Shelter
- Raise the Woof this Saturday
- Not everybody needs an Easter bunny
- Puppies and paddles this Sunday
- Puppy-palooza at Camp Bow Wow
- 'Endangered Species in the Gulf' premieres Tuesday
- Making a difference
- Smithsonian animal exhibit rolls into town
Don't fear the roux
Our guide to making the roux and bisque for this month’s Crawfish Bisque with Boulettes.
Trying on vintage
They’re young, bold and independent. They’re not the women of the ’60s, but they know style when they see it.
Top of the Food Chain