This Saturday, the LSU Pre-Vet Club is doing its part to clean up the Capitol City. From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., the student-organization hosts its annual dog wash fundraiser in front of the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine on Skip Bertman Drive.
Besides a willingness to take on the city's dirty, dusty, dingy and dander-filled dogs for only $5 per wash, this student-run organization offers activities for owners. The event features a petting zoo, face painting, a doggie-bag gift-basket raffle and an appearance by an official LSU police dog.
While raffle proceeds benefit Yelp!BR, the remainder of funds provide educational opportunities for the estimated 200 undergraduate pre-vet students on campus.
The club's 70 members plan bi-monthly guest lectures by faculty, bus trips to veterinary schools around the country and to national symposiums that give students hands-on experience in everything from acupuncture to trauma surgery.
In addition, the club requires members to accrue service hours. 'We are a professional organization,' says Kali Sherman, the club's historian. 'We want members to go out and make meaningful connections with the community, local veterinarians and pre-vet students from across the country.'
If you are looking for a new date to bring the dog wash, Yelp!BR has plenty of dogs deserving a great home.
If you are interested in fostering or adopting from Yelp!Baton Rouge, email email@example.com or call 225-485-9200.
Most recent Unleashed blog posts
- Don't miss these documentaries
- Tips to Steer Clear of Deer During Holiday Travel
- No signs of slowing down: Senior dogs make great canine companions
- Baton Rouge Zoo adds to its antelope family
- Santa CAAWS Is Coming to Town
- BREC offers "boo-nanza"
- Inaugural Howl-O-Ween set for Sunday
- Healthy and conscious treats
- Oh, Yappy Day
- Homeward bound
- Face Evil on Friday the 13th
- The perils of a backpack attack
- Avoid being harried during hurricane season
- A race where cheetahs always win
- Going Batty in Baton Rouge
- Grand Opening of FOTA's Adoption House
- Does Baton Rouge Suffer From BBD Syndrome?
- Fun for Furry Fashionistas
- ASPCA Reveals the Summer's Top Five Preventable Pet Problems
- New Project Chronicles and Conserves Native Tortoises