This Sunday afternoon, Feliciana Animal Welfare Society (FAWS) launches its first annual Running of the Dogs at BREC's Zachary Community Park. The event is part of the Zfest, otherwise known as Zachary Art & Music Festival.
The 5K course rambles through neighboring subdivisions across Highway 964. Both walkers and runners are invited to bring their furry, vaccinated, leashed friends to join in the festivities.
Proceeds benefit East Feliciana's only animal welfare nonprofit. The organization was founded by group of residents concerned about the overwhelming number of abandoned animals wandering the parish. Since 2008, the group has increased its volunteer corps from seven to 16 and adopted out 1,065 dogs. In addition, FAWS has spay/neutered 979 cats and adopted 207. Besides re-homing cats as pets, FAWS also offers feral and semi-tame, vaccinated, spayed/neutered felines as barn cats. To quell the overpopulation of unwanted animals, FAWS has partnered with Cat Haven, LSU School of Veterinary Medicine and Baton Rouge Spay Neuter to offer parish residents low-cost spay/neuter services.
"We've been able to accomplish a lot in five years," says FAWS co-founder and Vice President Suzanne Hobgood, who currently fosters 10 dogs. "It really does take over your life. It's something you can't not do. There's such a great need." FAWS hopes this event will raise funds and awareness and attract both new volunteers and adopters.
Online registration is available until 1 p.m. on March 23 for $20. Pre-registered runners' packet pick-up begins at 1 p.m. on March 24. Race day registration begins at 1 p.m. and costs $30. The race follows at 3 p.m.
This week's Creature Feature
If you're looking for a new running buddy or a great canine or feline companion, FAWS has many adoptable animals including:
All these pets have been spayed/neutered, vaccinated and heartworm tested. Many other adoptable dogs, puppies, cats and kittens are available through Feliciana Animal Welfare Society, http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/faws.html
Most recent Unleashed blog posts
- Community Cats Ordinance is an Essential Component of Making Baton Rouge a No-Kill City
- What would you do if you saw a dog in a hot car?
- Appeasing the roar of the crowd
- Avoiding equine heat stress
- Purrfect new additions to the zoo
- Rules of attraction
- Tips to get your pet home safely
- Summer Showers Rain Lost Cats & Dogs
- Invasion of the crazy ants
- Dog days of summer
- Go wild this week with BREC summer adventures
- Kitten season heats up with summer solstice
- Hurricane preparation plans for pet owners
- Third time's a charm for dog safety bill
- Keeping pets safe
- Fur Ball fundraiser benefits City Shelter
- Raise the Woof this Saturday
- Not everybody needs an Easter bunny
- Puppies and paddles this Sunday
- Puppy-palooza at Camp Bow Wow
Playing with Shades
Embrace the mystery and splendor of the color GREY this fall
Don't fear the roux
Our guide to making the roux and bisque for this month’s Crawfish Bisque with Boulettes.
Trying on vintage
They’re young, bold and independent. They’re not the women of the ’60s, but they know style when they see it.